12 Days of Fishmas (376kb pdf)
- Colorful pyramid of sanctuary sea creatures images set to the 12 Days of Christmas song. An opportunity to count down from 12 drums a-drumming to a parrotfish under the sea.
Coastal and Marine Education and Job Opportunities (86kb pdf)
- Listing of potential education and job opportunities for students interested in coastal and marine science careers.
Coral Crossword Puzzle (220kb pdf)
- Designed for upper elementary and middle school, but fun for all ages if you like word games (key included). This is a great vocabulary activity for students learning about coral reefs.
top of page
Coral Word Search (1.5MB pdf)
- Designed for upper elementary and middle school, but fun for all ages if you like word searches (key included). This is a great way to review vocabulary related to coral reefs and their conservation.
Critter Collage (4.7MB pdf)
- A collage of photos showing a variety of animals seen in the sanctuary. Attached key identifies each animal and provides a brief description.
Day & Night Activity Wheel (1.9MB pdf)
- Designed for primary grades to learn about which animals are active on the reef during the day and which are active at night. A wheel to cut out and put together.
Reef Scene Coloring Page (217kb pdf)
- Coloring page showing a manta ray, hammerhead sharks, a sea turtle, and other popular animals of the sanctuary. How many animals can you find and identify?
Sanctuary Alphabet Mini-Poster (8.5MB pdf)
- Photo collage of images from the sanctuary showing alphabet shapes from A to Z. Can you find each letter and identify each image? Identification key included.
(legal size document)
Splitting Polyp Drawing (213kb pdf)
- Black and white drawing illustrating how a coral polyp can split to become two polyps in one form of asexual reproduction. This illustration also shows how similar corals and anemones are.
Zooxanthellae Words (77kb pdf)
- Designed for upper elementary and middle school, but fun for all ages if you like word games (key included). How many smaller words can you find in the word "zooxanthellae"?
top of page
We welcome your feedback on all of our educational materials. Please email us your comments or questions.
20 Things We've Learned About Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary (99MB pdf)
- A group of six colorful posters highlighting scientific accomplishments in and around the sanctuary during its first 20 years.
Once downloaded, these may be printed full size (24"x36") or as handouts (8.5"x11").
Adaptations from the Depths: Octopus
- A 5E curriculum that takes elementary students through a variety of exploratory activities to learn about adaptations of the octopus. For video footage of an octopus on the reef, visit our Invertebrate Videos page.
Adaptations from the Depths: Octopus Handouts
- A master set of handouts from the Octopus adaptations curriculum.
Coral Cores Activity (977kb pdf)
- Explains how corals lay down their calcium carbonate skeletons in layers and what those layers can tell us. Includes x-ray images of actual coral cores taken from the sanctuary.
Coral Polyp Diagram (745kb pdf)
- Full-color page showing the anatomy of a coral polyp. This page was adapted from the NOAA Ocean Service (NOS) Coral Discovery Kit to use as a handout when teaching about coral structure.
Coral Spawning Globe (224kb pdf)
- Instructions for creating a reverse snow globe that models coral spawning on the reef. The resulting model has plastic pellets floating to the surface much like coral egg bundles.
Discover Your World with NOAA (123MB pdf)
- An activity book designed to show how NOAA helps us to explore, understand, and protect our Earth.
top of page
Fish Fun! (1.2MB pdf)
- A 5E lesson about how fish are adapted for different feeding styles.
Includes color photographs of Spanish hogfish, marbled grouper, and goldentail moray eel.
Gulf of Mexico Watershed Activity (396kb pdf)
- Highlights the large size of the Gulf of Mexico watershed (with answer key). Great practice in identifying and labeling the 48 contiguous states.
Paint a Reef Mural Lesson (2.1MB pdf)
- A lesson that uses art to teach about coral reef animals and their habitat.
Additional files needed for the complete lesson include Appendix C: Species Guide (2.5MB pdf), Artist List (54kb pdf), and Painting Templates (14.5MB pdf).
**We welcome feedback on this new lesson. Please tell us about your experience by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Plastics, Plastics Everywhere! (194kb pdf)
- A look at how plastics affect the ocean environment and the impact that students and their families have on the amount of plastic bags
used each day, week, and year.
Reef Monitoring Lesson (215kb pdf)
- looks at changes over time in the coral/sponge habitat of Stetson Bank. Requires a series of photo images that can be downloaded from the Stetson Bank Monitoring Images web page.
Secrets of the Gulf Activity 3: Coral Construction (2.7MB pdf)
- An Immersion Presents activity that models the beginnings of reef formation and the challenges of coral polyp settlement.
Secrets of the Gulf Activity 5: Manta Mysteries (2.8MB pdf) - An Immersion Presents activity that introduces the challenges of identifying and tracking manta rays. Can be supplemented with all of the manta catalog information available on this web site.
Secrets of the Gulf Standards and Correlations (164kb pdf)
- an Immersion Presents document identifying national standards and correlations in the Secrets of the Gulf activities
top of page
The next Down Under, Out Yonder workshop and scuba field experience will take place July 12-17, 2013. For more detailed information about the workshop, please visit our Workshops page.
Down Under, Out Yonder (DUOY) Workshop Flyer (149kb pdf)
Down Under, Out Yonder (DUOY) Workshop Application (134kb pdf)
To learn more about the types of workshops we offer, please visit our Workshops & Seminars web page.